Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Exploring & Learning Today in North Carolina

The fun things I've done this week with my 18 month grandson (a challenging age for hands on projects) (while his parents are taking exams as first year MBA students) has been making pinecone bird feeders, baking cookie cutter sugar cookies, making sheet forts and pillow castles, doing acrobatics like flying angels and flips together, and making play dough. He's great because he never puts stuff in his mouth. He never does projects like these so it's been great fun. He's loved it. One activity he was too young for was the visit to the library where he jumped on the couch, ran into walls of book shelves, and hated, hated waiting in line 15 minutes to check out the 10 truck books I got. He loves the books however. He'll learn. Today I explored Chapel Hill and Durham, North Carolina shops trying to buy netting to cover the crib because my large 18 month grandson (looks like a 3 year old) is climbing out of his crib. These nets seem to be common for many parents these days on the standard crib. Why don't I remember using anything to keep my children in their crib through the night? Did we not need them because there were no real "safety standards" on the cribs then? Can anyone enlighten me on this minor problem. Ultimately there were no nets in any of the stores. It's evidently an online item only. We took the crib turned it around so the higher side that had been against the wall is in front and we shoved it into a corner for the back and side wall. I used a child door safety gate between the wall and a part of the crib for the fourth wall. Interesting. So that's what I explored and learned today. Problem solved until the net comes. Also as I took my grandson for a walk Bartlett Tree workers warned me of a bee hive that had been sawed down during their work and was now on the ground. They couldn't touch it because it was their understanding that bees are protected from being destroyed right now. Any insight on that issue? Explore, teach, Explore, learn, teach.

No comments: